Sign Language

I remember it was the third grade, everyday my teacher, Mrs. Anderson would ask us what we were going to have for lunch, option A, B, or C and we would answer in sign language.  I remember learning this special alphabet long ago, that we use to use everyday to try and be cool.  We learned about Helen Kellar and what it meant to be deaf or blind, or tragically, both. Now don't get me wrong, I can't have a full on conversation with someone, but back then, I use to be pretty good at the alphabet.  In case you've forgotten here is a visual of all 26 letters in sign langauge:
Here is a rare video of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan, describing the way they began to communicate. 

 Extraordinary video folks--appreciate your voice and respect your ears! Trust me, it's important enough!

 
Here are some other phrases you might want to practice


 
Now, if you haven't The Miracle Worker in grade school or middle school, please take the time to watch it. Here's Part I
I've recently seen the act of signing in the main stream, in music videos especially. I personally am not offended by this, because I love to see signing whenever I can. 

Weezy F.Baby, please say the baby!!! Here's Leather So Soft.  Girl gets in on the signing!

Here's a video for Sia called Soon We'll Be Found which shows a pleasant display of signing.  Also, check out the rest of her album, it's a smash!

0 comments:

Post a Comment